Image Bank

1.10.2012

John Wiley, Brother of Genie

For those of you who don't know about Genie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)
She is one of the most famous cases of a sequestered child.
I did some digging and found out she has a brother! he is 54. unlike Katurian, John was aware of the abuse that was taking place and was abused himself. But, I think there are still things to be gleaned here, so here is a bit of a character study on John Wiley consisting of quotes and descriptions from interviews:
John Wiley was 6 years old when his grandmother died and he was sent to live with his abusive father.
"He has spent most of the rest of his life estranged from his family, with little support to heal the scars of his childhood."
"in the swell of publicity about Genie, John, who witnessed his younger sister's abuse and also suffered at the hands of their sadistic father, has never received a minute of treatment or public attention in the nearly 40 years since."
"'I was left out in left field and no one came to my rescue,' Wiley, now 56 and living a modest life as a house painter in Ohio, told ABCNEWS.com in his first-ever interview about a life spent recovering from the tragedy. 'I am a living dead man.'"
"Speaking in hushed, often expressionless tones, he detailed a life spent struggling through alcohol abuse, divorce and estrangement from his own daughter. Disconnected from his family, but unable to escape the past."
"'I never knew what normal was.'"
"'I had to learn about life when I got on my own, away from my family,'"
"'I was afraid to have kids because of my upbringing,'"
"'I've been able to block out my past,' he said, sipping a brandy and ginger ale in his cramped but neat townhouse."
"'When you are a kid, you try to trust my parents,'" he said. "'I think I trusted the wrong people.'"
"He was forbidden to speak to Geanie by their abusive father"
Of course there are some KEY differences between Katurian and John:
  • Katurian was unaware of the abuse of his sibling.
  • John Wiley has distanced himself from his sister.
  • John Wiley did not kill his parents, however he did witness his father's suicide.
  • John Wiley was himself abused.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2/28/2014

    who is Katurian.???
    how does Katurin fit into all of this.?

    ReplyDelete